11 killed as building collapses in Mumbai’s Malad 

At least 11 people, including eight children were killed and many injured after a residential structure collapsed in New Collector compound, Malad West of Mumbai on Wednesday. 

Search and rescue operation is currently underway. Those injured in the incident were taken to a hospital for further treatment. 

The incident took place at around 11:10 pm on Wednesday.

BMC in a tweet said, “A portion of 2nd & 3rd floor of a Gr.+ 3 residential building collapsed on adjacent G+1 floor chawl injuring 17 people. Unfortunately 9 reported dead so far.”

“The search and rescue operation by the fire brigade is still going on. As per updates, 11 people have been reported dead so far. Our prayers for the affected families. We hope for the quick recovery of the injured. May be deceased rest in peace,” BMC added.

Former Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis condoled the loss of lives and said, “Saddened to know loss of lives in Malad building collapse incident in Mumbai. My thoughts are with families who lost loved ones & prayers for speedy recovery of injured. We demand immediate assistance to the families, in-depth inquiry & action against all responsible.

Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri in a tweet said, “Shocked & saddened to hear about the loss of precious lives in an unfortunate building collapse in Mumbai. Effective measures to prevent such incidents from recurring should be put in place as the city braces for monsoon. Heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families.”